Purpose of the S-STEM Program
The overarching goal of the Computing Alliance of Hispanic-Serving Institutions (CAHSI) New Mexico STEM Scholars program is to develop a scholarship program that prepares academically talented low-income students to enter the computing workforce or advanced studies in computing disciplines. The S-STEM program will be engaged in professional development activities, which will provide them with tools and mastery experiences to strengthen their preparation and effectively orient them in their academic trajectories. The CAHSI NM S-STEM scholars will be financially supported and selected among qualified student sin computing degree programs.
The eligibility requirements for the S-STEM scholarship are as follows:
- US. Citizenship or permanent residency
- Financial need as defined by the Department of Education rules for need-based free application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA].
- High-school GPA of at least 3.6 (from transcripts), rank in the top 15% of graduating high school class, or
- GPA of 3.0/4.0 if student is already a college freshman.
- Full-time student status, pursuing a major in a computing discipline
The CAHSI NMSU S-STEM program will fund students seeking a degree in computer related fields for a period of up to four years. Funded students at NMSU, NMSU-A, NMSU-G and DACC* will receive an annual stipend based on their years in the program up to the following amounts:
- Year 1: $7,000 (students attending NMSU-A, NMSU-G or DACC)
- Year 1: $8,000 (students attending NMSU)
- Year 2: $9,000
- Years 3 & 4: $10,000
*Students attending NMSU-A, NMSU-G or DACC must transition to NMSU upon completion of second semester to continue receiving the scholarship.
Students interested in applying for the S-STEM scholarship must submit the following documents:
- Completed S-STEM application form
- Detailed resume listing all education, employment history, and extracurricular activities
- Personal Statement
- Transcript(s) from all colleges and high schools attended.
- Two recommendation letters, with at least one from a recent instructor